Access offers prenatal care at all three medical sites with family physicians or nurse midwives. We accept many types of insurance for your care and will assist you in getting coverage if you are uninsured.
- Family Physicians
Family physicians specialize in care for people of all ages and stages of life, including pregnancy. Your family doctor will see you for each visit throughout your pregnancy and they are also able to be with you at your delivery. They can care for you after birth, and can also be your baby’s doctor, if you choose. They are not surgeons, and if you need a Cesarean or other procedure they can refer you to a specialist. They take care of low and high risk pregnancies, including pregnancies affected by blood pressure, gestational diabetes, other chronic medical problems, and substance use.
Our family physicians work at our three medical clinics and attend deliveries at both UnityPoint Health – Meriter and SSM Hospitals, depending on your insurance coverage.
Midwives specialize in normal pregnancy and birth. Our wonderful team of midwives works as a group to provide care for you. You will get to know the different midwives at your visits throughout pregnancy and one of these midwives will be with you at your delivery. They are not surgeons, and if you need a Cesarean or other procedure they can refer you to a specialist. They take care of low and some high risk pregnancies, and in some situations can work together with our family physicians to care for patients with higher risk conditions.
The midwives are available at our Joyce & Marshall Erdman Clinic and William T. Evjue Clinic and attend deliveries at UnityPoint Health – Meriter Hospital.
We are proud of our program, and honored to walk through your pregnancy with you. We will continue to care for you and your family after your baby is born.
- Specialized prenatal nurse support.
- Patient services to help with insurance, transportation, and other needs.
- Pregnancy ultrasounds.
- Behavioral health support.
- Lactation consultation and assistance with breast pumps.
- Assistance acquiring breast pumps to help with breastfeeding if needed.
- Opportunities for doula support.
- Nutritionists and Diabetes Educators.
- Dental screenings and referrals for dental care at our Access dental clinics.
- Vaccines for partners and caregivers of your newborn.
- Treatment for substance use.
- Care for patients with high risk conditions in pregnancy.